Maximo Nivel > Study Abroad Programs > High School Abroad

High School Abroad

In Maximo Nivel’s High School Abroad program, students spend a semester (24 weeks) or a full year at a prestigious, private high school in Costa Rica. This program is open to high school students from 9th to 12th grade and there are 4 schools to choose from. Each school is fully-accredited and follows a slightly-adjusted North American school calendar year—classes begin in early August and end in mid-June; an extended winter break is included.

High School Abroad

Classes are taught in English while Spanish is studied as a required second language. Students may be able to earn credit towards the International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma. Advanced Placement (AP) classes are available for students from the United States. Students can join soccer, basketball, baseball, volleyball, and other sports teams; as well as various clubs ranging from guitar and aeronautics to chess and fencing.

Students live with a local host family in Costa Rica and have a private room. A cultural advisor from Maximo Nivel works one-on-one to help navigate students through cultural and language differences. Optional activities, social events, and tours are available throughout the program via our approved travel partners.

School Tuition

School tuition includes all textbooks, workbooks, computer lab fees, and basic school materials for the semester or year of study. It also includes vision and hearing exams, individual and class photos, and annual yearbook. Fees may change slightly based on the school(s) where the student applies and is accepted.

A tuition payment plan is available where parents can pay 60% of annual school tuition one week before school starts in August and the remaining 40% of tuition is due one week before school starts again in January.

Extra tutoring and study services are available, but may involve additional costs.

International Baccalaureate

The International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum is focused on developing inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who are motivated to succeed in a global environment. Students are encouraged to think critically and challenge what they are told. They are taught to consider both their local and international environment and to build a better world through intercultural understanding and respect.

An IB school is different from other schools because it is independent of government and national systems, and is able to incorporate best practices from a range of international frameworks and curricula. Read more at www.ibo.org

What’s Included

Students taking part in the High School Abroad program receive:

– Cultural advisor
– Airport pick-up and drop-off
– Host family accommodations (private room)
– Breakfast, lunch, dinner, 7 days/week
– School tuition and all textbooks
– Bus transportation to/from school
– Program and safety orientation
– Official program transcripts
– Private Spanish classes, 5 hours/week
– Free Spanish books and materials
– Free Spanish language tutoring table
– Free Tandem Conversation Program
– Free office-wide WiFi and computer lounge
– Free salsa dance classes
– Free cooking classes
– On-site snack bar
– Institute is open 7 days/week
– Emergency contact number 24/7