Volunteer in Lake Conservation in Guatemala
Help preserve Lake Atitlan’s natural resources by raising awareness and educating the local population on the proper use of the lake and surrounding water basin.
Maximo Nivel offers a very special hands-on volunteer project focused on environmental awareness and education based at majestic Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. Lake Atitlan is a very unique Lake—it is the deepest lake in Central America and it’s often compared a “closed sea.” Lake Atitlan is surrounded by 3 volcanoes and was formed by volcanic eruptions over 87,000 years ago. The surrounding villages descend directly from the ancient Mayan culture. Unfortunately, the effects of tourism and daily life have increased pollution, reduced oxygen levels, and contaminated drinking water. Volunteers work with a local NGO to help raise environmental awareness on the proper use and environmental management of Lake Atitlan—improving waste management, and improving the ecological conditions surrounding the lake and the social conditions of the local population.
What will you do as a Lake Conservation Volunteer?
Depending on the project’s needs, field conditions, and your Spanish language skills, volunteers support the NGO in 3 ways:
1) Environmental education—volunteers teach local communities about recycling, trash disposal, water conservation, and pollution.
2) Management of natural resources—volunteers help restore the surrounding hillsides via reforestation and increased soil fertilization.
3) Environmental cleanup—volunteers work in multiple areas including water filtration, recycling, waste management, and seasonal clean-up.
||Minimum 1 week
||4-6 hours/day Monday-Friday; Working hours are split into morning and afternoon shifts; schedules vary according to the project’s needs.
||– At least 17 years of age
– Flexible; Willing to do various tasks based on season and project needs
– Healthy and physically prepared to do manual labor in a rural setting
– Hard working, ready to do anything!
– Spanish language skills are not required